The application cycle for the 2024 Physicists Coalition Next-Generation Fellowship is now open.
The Physicists Coalition for Nuclear Threat Reduction, in partnership with the Arms Control Association (ACA) offers the Next-Generation Fellowship.
This fellowship aims to strengthen the participation of graduate students, postdocs, and early-career physicists and engineers in advancing nuclear weapons threat reduction.
The one-year fellowship offers opportunities, including:
- Partnering with a senior expert on the research and writing of a policy memo on a current nuclear weapons policy issue, which could be the basis for an article in the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists or similar publication, and a presentation at an appropriate venue.
- Opportunity for a training workshop in Washington, D.C. or online in policy communication, advocacy, and scientific community partnership building with ACA and other non-governmental groups
- Opportunity for a visit to Washington, D.C. for advocacy and outreach to Congress.
- Networking opportunities with key nuclear arms control policy and science advocacy groups.
- Opportunity to participate in a 4-day Princeton Summer School on Science and Global Security.
- Eligibility for a follow-on grant based on a proposal for continued education and work on nuclear threat reduction for a year upon successful completion of the Fellowship.
Please note that travel and other expenses for participation in these activities will be funded by the Physicists Coalition. The Fellow’s salary is expected to be covered by their home institution.
To strengthen diversity and the inclusion of many viewpoints in the nuclear weapons policy field, the Coalition encourages applicants of every gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic background. There are no citizenship requirements, but applicants are expected to reside in the United States for the duration of the Fellowship.
Applications should include the following:
- A cover letter and curriculum vitae, describing interest in nuclear weapons policy or community engagement
- A letter of recommendation (must be emailed separately by the person providing the letter)
CV and cover letter should be sent in a single PDF document to [email protected]. Letters should be addressed to the Physicists Coalition Fellowship Committee.
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by December 15th, 2023.